Lymington 0 AFC Stoneham 6

By Mark Stupple

April 13th 2017

Our reserves have been in fine form of late only losing once in the last 8 games culminating in an excellent 6-0 win over Lymington Town in the Wyvern Cup semi final on Wednesday with hat tricks from both Ollie Forbes and Tafadzwa Mhizha. The whole team played some excellent football having led 2-0 at half time and will now play either Dorchester Town or Petersfield Town in the final.


This result followed good recent victories over Baffin Milton Rovers,Brockenhurst and Gosport Borough plus a good draw against a very strong New Milton team.The clubs strategy for the reserve team this year of developing home grown players over winning every game is undoubtedly starting to pay dividends although reaching a cup final and hopefully finishing in the top two in the league is still very welcome.


We changed almost the whole reserve team last summer, with a couple of noticeable exceptions, to allow young players from our Under 16 and 18 teams to gain both valuable minutes in our reserves and their first experience of mens football. This has allowed excellent young players such as Ryan Caws,Joe Cresdee,Conor Humphries,Kieran Rawlings,Max Cullen,Elliott Perkis,Efu Kazadi and Sam Palmer to develop further into our reserve team at a very young age with all having signed up for next season when undoubtedly they will  develop further.


In addition we will have other young players from Mark Keays very successful Under 16 team coming into the reserve squad in the summer who would have been involved already but currently are too young. This clearly gives us great encouragement for the future when we hope many of these boys will push on into our first team.


The team v Lymington Town was : Williams, Botcherby,Anteney-Wright,Beckerley,Rogers,Roberts,Hogam,Sanger,Forbes,Spreadbury and Mhizha  Subs:Hammond,Cresdee,Cullen and Caws.



United Services Portsmouth 0 AFC Stoneham 1

By Mark Stupple

March 22nd 2017

We went into a very difficult away game at United Services Portsmouth after a recent run of disappointing results despite playing very well in parts of some of the games . Our opponents were also the form team in the league having lost only once in their last 22 games.


United Services started confidently as you would expect however after the first 15 minutes we started to take control of the midfield especially through captain Chris Manning who was outstanding all night. This allowed us to play some excellent passing football which should have been rewarded on 17 minutes when Ledger slotted home from a Caballero shot coming off the post but was unfortunately ruled offside.


Our deserved lead was however not far away when Will Harris headed home a Manning cross on 24 minutes.  We continued to dominate with Caballero and Ledger continually creating chances without conversion into goals which would have given us a deserved 2 or 3 goal lead at half time .


Portsmouth did come more into the game early in the second half and Sam Wieldon in goal had to make one very good save from a free kick and be alert off his line on more than one occassion. However the defence was controlled by the excellent Matthew Palmer, possibly now playing his very best football of the season,and well supported by Graham Bird not to forget an outstanding tackle by Merl Anteney-Wright on the opposition number 10 when clean through on goal .


Whilst the game got stretched we had more chances to gain a 2nd on the break with the best opportunity falling to Ollie Forbes who lobbed the goalie well and,unfortunately,the crossbar as well.


Our overall play deserved more than a solitary goal however the performance and result was the best for some time

which will now hopefully set a high standard for the remaining 5 games and allow us to gain enough points to obtain entry into next seasons FA Cup for the first time in our history.


Team: Wieldon, Bullock, Anteney-Wright, Morris, Bird, Palmer, Forbes, Manning, Caballero, Ledger, Harris

Subs:Welch , Hogan

Scorer: Harris


AFC Stoneham 5 Alton Town 3

By Mark Stupple

March 4th 2017

A very entertaining game on a very heavy pitch .


Alton started a lot quicker than the home team and took the lead after 7 minutes with a wind assisted shot from the right wing.

AFC Stoneham were struggling to keep Alton out as they dominated the game and duly took a 2-0 lead on 23 minutes when Matt Palmer missed a clearance leaving West with a simple chance which he duly converted.


Alton could easily have extended their lead further had it not been for good defending from Bird and Palmer. Against the run of play an excellent run by Bray, going past 3 players and threading a ball through to Ledger, led to him calmly slotting home. This was a very important goal on 37 minutes and soon after Hogan could have equalised when the opposiion keeper save well with his legs.

In truth being 2-1 down at half time flattered the home team although playing against the wind certainly had an effect.


We came out playing with the wind and immediately played better with Palmer soon equalising with a bullet like header from a corner on 49 minutes. The game was swinging from end to end leading to a very entertaining encounter on a testing pitch and it was no surprise when Alton scored their 3rd from an inswinging free kick on 54 minutes.


Byron Gharibian scored a great headed goal on his debut having just come off the bench on 60 minutes to bring the scores level at 3-3. We continued to then give away silly free kicks in dangerous areas allowing Alton to deliver excellent balls into our box which were a constant threat and had already led to their 3rd goal.


At 3-3 young 16 year old subsitute Sam Palmer was sent on,along with young Joe Cresdee, to make history being the youngest player ever to make a first team appearance in our 100 year history. Ollie Forbes soon then gave AFC Stoneham the lead with an excellent run and finish on 78 minutes followed by Matt Palmer converting a penalty after Bray had been fouled to secure an excellent 5-3 win from being 2-0 down.


A great performance and result from the purples after a difficult couple of weeks result wise.


Manager Tim Cole was delighted " I was really pleased with the boys today especially with 6 key players missing through suspension and unavailability. We really struggled early on and were deservedly 2-0 down but the attitude and performance of the boys after that was superb and is a great platform for the remainder of the season".


Reserves 22/2/17 : AFC Stoneham 6 Gosport Borough 1

By Mark Stupple

February 23rd 2017

Our reserves produced their best performance of the season on Wednesday beating a strong Gosport Borough team 6-1 to progress to the next round of the Wyvern Shield after topping our group.


The boys appeared to be well up for the game and started at a furious pace which Gosport struggled to match early on and never really recovered. Young Joe Cresdee was a constant thorn in the side of the Gosport defence and lobbed the opposition keeper on 7 minutes from 25 yards to give us the early initiative. This was soon followed on 12 minutes by a cheeky goal from Jack Williams and we never really looked back despite Gosport reducing the arrears on 22 minutes.Two further first half goals from Caballero(31)  and Williams(38)  again sealed the victory as we went 4-1 up at half time.


As expected Gosport came out fired up for the 2nd half and increased their tempo whilst our defence held firm particularly through the centre half partnership of Martin Rogers and Tom Roberts. Having withstood early pressure we were able to soon get our passing game back and for the last 30 minutes played some excellent football which was a joy to watch. Further goals inevitably followed through Cresdee(62),set up superbly by 16 year old Sam Palmer, and Jack Williams (73) who completed his hat trick to cap an outstanding prformance.


Gosport currently top the Wyvern Premier Midweek league having not lost since August and therefore this was an excellent scalp for our young reserves and fully deserved on the night.


Team: S.Williams, Rawlings,Cooper,Botcherby,Rogers,Roberts,Cullen,Ghabadian,J.Williams,Caballero,Cresdee

Subs:Sanger, Humphries, Palmer


Scorers : J.Willaims (3) , Cresdee (2) and Caballero


Team Solent 3 - 0 AFC Stoneham

By Nathaniel Holland

February 15th 2017

Current Southampton Senior Cup holders Team Solent progressed to the semi-finals with a 3-0 victory over Wessex Division One side AFC Stoneham.

On a wet Test Park pitch, Jim Orvis had given the Sparks a first half lead before late goals from Tyrell Mitford and Jesse Waller-Lassen put Jim Taylor’s students into the final four.

Solent played most of the second half with ten men when Tobi Adekunle received his second booking of game with the home side 1-0 up at the time.

Solent got off to a slow start and found themselves picking the ball up out of their own net from a Stoneham corner that had crept over the line, only for the referee to blow his whistle for a foul on home ‘keeper Bradley Banda.

The ball was struggling to roll along the surface and Stoneham forward Sergio Caballero tried a shot from the half way line that Banda was able to catch with little trouble.

Visiting goalkeeper Sam Whieldon was forced into a good save at his near post when Adekunle jinked his way into the box before unleashing a shot on goal.

Stoneham, a league below their cup opposition, were giving a good account of themselves as Caballero sent another long range effort into the hands of Banda.

Orvis went close for the students, dragging his shot just wide of the far post from a tight angle after receiving a well-placed pass from Matt Sheedy.

The surface was causing plenty of mistakes and Ashley Ledger latched onto the ball but Orvis, filling in at right back, made a great double block to deny Ledger and Caballero to keep the score at 0-0.

Stoneham managed to save their blushes after Whieldon had spilled the ball on the floor in the box, the Purples back line stayed firm to clear the danger and block Jamel Wiseman’s shot.

The home side did make the breakthrough midway through the first half, Adekunle sent a deep cross into the box from the left wing and Orvis was on hand to take a touch at the back post before firing a venomous shot at goal which Whieldon could do nothing about.

A minute later, Stoneham could have equalised when Tom Hogan slipped the ball through to Alex Welch, who poked the ball past Banda and off the base of the post, a lucky escape for the hosts.

The Sparks were getting a grip of the game and Ryan Dacres-Smith’s low drive looked destined for the bottom corner before Whieldon smothered the ball on the line.

Adekunle then picked up a yellow card for diving in the box when Whieldon came out to collect a loose ball. It looked like a penalty but the referee gave the benefit of the doubt and showed the Solent winger a yellow card.

Stoneham came out for the second half in good form, Hogan raced through the Solent defence before Banda managed to close the angle and save with his legs to keep his side ahead.

Solent were forced into shooting from range as Stoneham kept a solid back line, Lewis Pitts sent one straight at the ‘keeper before Adekunle fired high moments later.

On the hour mark Solent were reduced to ten men when Adekunle was given a second yellow for a late tackle on Scott Bullock and the student went into the changing room for an early shower.

Tyrell Mitford was brought on to help Solent increase the lead and he didn’t need long to score a goal of the season contender. The fresher was on the pitch for four minutes when he curled a beauty in off the post after some good interplay with Waller-Lassen.

Caballero had the ball in the back of the net for Stoneham after some one touch passing around the penalty box but the linesman had his flag raised for offside.

Stoneham pressed on but the game was slowly slipping away as Welch sent one onto the roof of the net minutes before Hogen forced a smart save from Banda.

Waller-Lassen put the game to bed in the final minutes of the game when he was fouled on the edge of the box by Ben Clarke. The Solent number 10 stepped up and curled a low shot into the corner of the net with the Stoneham ‘keeper left stuck in the mud.

Solent head into the semi-finals against Hamble Club reserves in March.


Full Article Here


Gosport Borough FC 3 - 2 AFC Stoneham

By Jeremy Fox - Gosport Borough FC

February 15th 207

Tom Bird's late, late show spared Gosport's blushes as stoppage time stunner prevented a penalty shoot out and a possible cup upset.

On the night Gosport handed the Russell Cotes Cup itself back to the Hampshire F.A, their hopes of regaining the trophy they won last May hung perilously in the balance.

Wessex One visitors AFC Stoneham, who play four levels below Gosport, were just seconds from holding Boro' to a highly creditable 2-2 draw and gaining a golden opportunity to pull off a huge cup upset in a penalty shoot out.

Twice the Eastleigh based side had fought back from behind to level, with two goal Ashley Ledger keeping their hopes alive after Ben Wright had nudged Boro' ahead with a double.

With the visitors on the cusp of securing spot kicks, deep in stoppage time, up popped Bird with a long range pile driver to secure a semi-final at AFC Portchester in a repeat of last seasons final.

Gosport fielded a much changed side to the one that had lost at home to Dartford at the weekend. Nick Jordan was sufficiently recovered from a knee injury to start and there were several changes as many players were rested ahead of two league away trips in the next week at Eastbourne and Truro.

Ollie Bailey started as did Ben Wright while Josh Carmichael captained the side as a makeshift defender whilst Scott Walters also returned from injury to appear in a side that also contained player-coach Danny Thompson.

After an energetic start from the visitors, Gosport asserted their authority and took a 14th minute lead. Ben Wright was the executor, showing some careful control and applying a decent finish after an exquisite through ball from Ollie Bailey.

The visitors had a good spell as the first half drew to a close but were unable to create any clear chances. Josh Carmichael almost sliced a cross from Ledger into his own net but fortunately for the home side his wayward ball spun out for a corner.

Bird almost made it two with a right footed effort that was well saved by Whieldon who also denied Wright moments later. Stoneham almost found an equaliser in the last minute of the half as Ledger’s looping header from a Morris free kick forced Jordan into a finger-tip save.

Olly Forbes headed wide early in the second period as Stoneham began the search for an equaliser within 90 seconds of the restart. But they weren’t to be denied as Ledger rolled home an equaliser after a mix up in the Boro' defence. It was nothing less than the visitors deserved.

However, the home side regained the lead straight from the re-start as Wright converted a deep cross at the far post.

A flurry of substitutions for both sides saw Jordan and Walters taken off for Higgins and Thomas. Jordan, it appeared had aggravated his knee injury and he was replaced by Thomas but he had barely reached his goal when he was booked for his part in an altercation.

Stoneham continued to press and Clarke headed just over as they continued to be adventurous. With thirteen minutes remaining, they gained their reward with a header from Ledger sneaking past Thomas and dropping into the net.

They now pushed on looking for a dramatic winner, knowing that they already had the penalty shoot out to fall back on. But it was they who were to be on the wrong end of a dramatic finale.

Tom Bird saved Gosport’s blushes with a dramatic winner deep into stoppage time, rifling a shot past Whieldon from 25 yards out to win it. Stoneham were devastated and had no time to respond. They were out and Boro' snuck through to the last four where they will, as they did last May, visit Graham Rix's Portchester where they will hope to once again reach the final.

Perhaps they haven't seen the last of the Trophy itself just yet.


GOSPORT: Jordan (Thomas 67), Walters (Higgins 66), Bird, Carmichael, Bush, Martin, Thompson, Lanahan, Wright (Morris 73), Bailey & Whittingham.


AFC STONEHAM: Whieldon, Bullock, Wright, Morris, Stupple, Clarke, Forbes (Cressdee 76), Welch (Manning 46), Ledger, Brady & Hogan. SUB NOT USED: Rawlings.




Pewsey Vale 0 AFC Stoneham 9

By Mark Stupple

January 28th 2017

Having put up a tremendous team performance against a full strength and full time Basingstoke Town in the Hampshire Cup quarter final losing only 2-0 our first team travelled to Pewsey Vale on Saturday .Confidence was still high having only been defeated once in 10 games.


Pewsey are enduring a difficult season having moved into the Wessex league with ourselves only last season. They never stopped working and must be commended on their attitude however our boys were far too strong on the day with their excellent passing football and clinical finishing in front of goal leading to a comfortable 9-0 away victory.


Goalscorers were Will Harris (3), Matt Stupple, Alex Welch, Ashley Ledger, Oliver Forbes, Tommy Hogan and Jack Brady.


The game will hopefully act as a good tonic for our Russell Cotes Cup quarter final on Tuesday at Gosport Borough from the Vanarama Conference South league.


Team: Whieldon, Stupple,Anteney-Wright, Morris, Bird,Clarke, Hogan,Manning,Ledger,Brady,Harris.

Subs :Welch,Rawlings ,Forbes


Basingstoke Town 2 AFC Stoneham 0

By Mark Stupple

January 18th 2017

AFC Stoneham travelled to Southern Premier league Basingstoke Town for our historic Hampshire Senior cup quarter final tie.

The opposition play three leagues above AFC Stoneham and paid us the compliment of playing their full first team making 2 changes from their win on Saturday at Cambridge City. We were missing the unavailable Chris Manning, cup tied Will Harris, injured Alex Welch and Sergio Caballero who has broken his hand.


The Purples started tentatively, as one would expect against much higher league opposition, and only good defending by Anteney-Wright and particularly Clarke blocked early chances.We did begin to grow into the game and good interplay created a good chance for Ledger whose shot was comfortably saved by Torarczyk in the Basingstoke goal. On 15 minutes a cross was collected by Whieldon in the Stoneham goal however he then collided with the oncoming striker , Artwell, and spilled the ball allowing the forward to tap the ball into the net giving Basingstoke the lead.


Soon after an excellent move involving Forbes,Ledger and Brady put Forbes in on goal who unfortunately didnt connect fully with the ball and the shot went just wide as AFC Stoneham were very slowly coming into the game . Basingstoke still had a far higher percentage of possession with Artwell, Jarvis and Redford continually looking dangerous and missing some chances with goalkeeper Whieldon making some excellent saves particularly 3 saves going down to his right.


AFC Stoneham had a strong penalty appeal turned down on 26 minutes when midfielder Matt Stupple moved into the box and whilst in possession inside the area was clearly pushed by Gater. Despite strong appeals the ref gave a Basingstoke free kick for Stupple shielding the ball unfairly apparently.  .


On 33 minutes a fracas occurred whereby Matt Palmer would not return a ball at a free kick and then threw the ball back to Basingstokes Partridge who then decided to respond with a headbutt on Palmer.. The referee appeared to be taking no action until Partridges headbutt and then decided to red card both players.


As the game moved towards half time the hard working Jarvis fired just wide for Basingstoke before Tokarczyk was again called into action to save from the lively Duncan Bray .


Soon after half time AFC Stoneham had a free kick on the edge of the box taken by Morris whose shot hit the wall allowing Ben Clarke to then loop a header over Tokarczyk before agonisingly hitting the bar and falling to Ashley Ledger a yard out who just couldnt  quite connect before the keeper pounced on the ball. In hindsight this was really a turning point as an equaliser would have given the Purples a great lift and momentum to possibly go on and win the game.


Basingstoke continued attacking however the game had now opened up and The Purples were having a lot more of the play and creating good chances through Bray, Ledger and substitute Tom Hogan. At the other end keeper Whieldon made a superb double save from a Collier strike inside the box.


On 84 minutes whilst pushing for the elusive equaliser Ledger lost the ball on the edge of the Basingstoke box allowing them to break quickly and defender Bennett marauded forward. He played a 1-2 with sub Owusu which Bird defended well winning the tackle however luckily the ball fell to Bennett in the area who shot and scored from inside the box to seal victory.


AFC Stoneham gained a huge amount in defeat and gave a very good account of themselves. Every player was a great credit to the club. We had good chances to score and particularly to equalise whilst recognising that Basingstoke had more possession and good opportunities with Whieldon producing a tremendous display in the Stoneham goal.


The score ulimately reflected the game although on another night a shock result may have happened with a little bit more luck on the side of the Purples.However AFC Stoneham took the plaudits from a night which will live in the memory for a long time .


Team: Whieldon,Palmer,Anteney-Wright,Morris,Bird,Clarke,Forbes,Stupple,Ledger,Brady,Bray



AFC Stoneham 6 v Fleet Spurs 1

By Mark Mwaungulu

January 14th 2017

AFC Stoneham entertained 15th placed Fleet Spurs at the Elliotts Arena on Saturday and ook all three points in 6-1 thriller. Stoneham sitting in 6th in the table displayed an air of confidence in the opening stages of he game. They had accumulated a total of four clear cut chances in the first 15 minutes.

Spurs could not get into the game, they struggled to get out of their half, with possession for them running scarce.

It was only a matter of time before the conceded, this came in the 20 th minute through edger. After intricate play on the far left, Stoneham’s left winger was brought down as he came across the box.

After much deliberation Ashley Ledger stepped up, sending the keeper the wrong way, he placed the ball into the bottom right corner to make it 1-0.

It wasn’t long before the spurs goal keeper was picking the ball from his net again. Ledger turned provider by putting Duncan Bray through on goal, who in response finished low in the 25 th minute to make it 2-0.

The Eastleigh based team looked more dominate, but were hit with a response from Spurs. After a poor showing spurs managed their second chance of the game, and they capitalised from it.

In the 36 th minute Jack Moore got one back for Spurs, with a decisive strike past the Stoneham keeper to make it 2-1.

This made for an intriguing last 10, with both sides looking to finish on a high. But nothing saying, as the half-finished 2-1 to Stoneham.

The second half Stoneham begun the half positively, applying pressure to the back four of Spurs. And it wasn’t longed before they eradicated any sign of a come-back from Spurs with a goal in the 50 th minute.

Stoneham worked through the right yet again before crossing the ball, and the ball was met gracefully by Chris Manning’s head and directed into the top left hand corner to make it 3-1.

It was slowly becoming a showing, with almost every chance Stoneham had testing the opposing goal keeper.

And in the 75 th minute Bray completed his brace, after a rebound came off the crossbar and straight to bray, who finished clinically to make it 4-1.

Spurs attempted to flood players forward to try loose with pride, but were viciously punished on the counter attack.

In the 82 nd minute Stoneham punished Spurs on a quick counter which was clinically dispatched by Ledger.

Ledger received the ball on the corner of the right hand side of the box, and finessed the ball into the top left hand corner to make it 5-1.

When everyone thought the goals were finished, Spurs granted Ledger an opportunity to complete his hat-trick.

In the 88 th minute Stoneham were given another penalty after a rash from a spurs right back.

Ledger opted to go the opposite corner to his first spot kick, he calmly slotted the ball to the bottom left with the keeper wrong footed to make it 6-1.

The game finished 6-1 to AFC Stoneham, leaving the Eastleigh based club 6 th with 48 points in the Sydenhams Wessex League Division One.


Christchurch 1 AFC Stoneham 1

By Bournemouth Echo

December 28th 2016

BOSS Ollie Cherrett was left to rue a below par first-half showing as Christchurch were held to a 1-1 draw by fellow Wessex One high-fliers AFC Stoneham on Wednesday.


Chris Manning gave the visitors to Hurn Bridge a 33rd-minute lead before teenager Ash Pope, who is on work experience to Priory from Cherries, levelled midway through the second half.


A share of the spoils saw Christchurch drop points for only the third game in their past 15, leaving them fourth ahead of Tuesday’s trip to in-form Ringwood.



Cherrett told the Daily Echo: “It was a game of two halves. We were poor in the first half and couldn’t get our passing going.


“They pressed us well and put us under pressure. Although they scored with their only shot on target in the game, we deserved to go in 1-0 down because we hadn’t been where we have in the past few games and that was the frustrating part.


“We asked for a response in the second half and really stamped our authority on the game in the final 35 minutes.


“Stevie Rattue came off the bench and did really well. We looked a completely different side and got back to where we have been playing.


“It was only a matter of time before we scored and we did. Ash Pope got us back in the game and really there was only ever going to be one winner after that.


“In the last 20 minutes, their goalkeeper made two great saves, we hit the post and missed two or three good opportunities.


“Stoneham were a good side and were not going to roll over and let us beat them. We were a little deflated at the end and it felt like a defeat. To only get a point was disappointing but sometimes you have to take the positives.”

Report courtesy of:


Hampshire Senior Cup - Quarter final - AFC Stoneham 1  Fawley 0


By Mark Stupple

December 7th 2016

Scorer : Ledger (pen) 83 mins


AFC Stoneham progressed to the quarter finals of the Hampshire senior cup for the first time in their history on Tuesday with a hard fought 1-0 win over Wessex Premier league Fawley.


Still missing many players and having to recruit heavily from the reserve side the boys produced a superb all round performance to edge the game and move into the last 8.


It was a cagey affair in the opening minutes of the game with no meaningful attempts on either goal.

Fawley stepped up a gear as they grew into the game in the closing minutes of the first half and it was the visitors who looked the most likely to score and only a superb goal line clearance from young reserve Scott Bullock kept the score level at half time.


The game seemed to be heading for a goalless draw as both sets of supporters were keeping watch for the winning goal.It was clear that one goal would win the game, as chances were few and far between.


As the game headed to a stalemate midfielder Matt Stupple was brought down in the box in the 82nd minute and the referee gave the home team a penalty.With much deliberation Ashley Ledger stepped up to take the penalty, the midfielder showed composure as he slotted the ball past the sprawling keeper in the 83rd minute.We managed to hold onto our slender 1-0 lead in the remaining minutes of the game to secure our spot in the last eight of this seasons Hampshire Senior cup.


We will be joined in the quarter finals by such illustrious clubs as Basingstoke Town,Gosport Borough,Sholing,Winchester City, AFC Totton, Hartley Wintney and premier league AFC Bournemouth. Suffice to say we will be the massive underdogs and all the above teams want to draw little old AFC Stoneham !


Manager Tim Cole said after the game " Sorry to use a cliche but I am over the moon ! I could not have asked for more from those boys tonight they were truly brilliant. It gets boring I know but we had so many players missing again however whoever I call up seems to step up to the plate and do a great job. To reach the quarter finals of this cup for the first time as a club is a landmark occassion and we are all really proud of a magnificent achievement. It would be wrong to pick out individuals as it was an all round team effort"


Team : Whieldon, Bullock,Cooper, Morris, Bird,Rogers,Hogan,Stupple,Caballero,Ledger,Forbes

Subs: Cron, Cresdee and Botcherby


AFC Stoneham 2 Hythe and Dibden 0

By Mark Stupple

December 3rd 2016

Missing a complete back four meant a debut for Will Harris with young Greg Cooper replacing Merl Anteney - Wright, who is holidaying in Japan for a month,at left back.


The game had a slow start to it and with neither team really creating lots of chances leading to a stalemate at half time. Hythe had a fairly young team and as we asserted our overall strength in the second half, leading to goals from Forbes and Caballero, we took control to end up fairly comfortable winners.


Team: Whieldon, Bullock, Cooper, Morris, Harris, Bird, Bray, Stupple,Caballero,Ledger, Forbes

Subs: Manning,Cron,Hogan


New Milton Town reserves 1  AFC Stoneham reserves 3

By Mark Stupple

December 3rd 2016

We took an extremely young team to New Milton for this league cup tie with six players aged either  16 or 17. However we soon took the ascendcy with 16 year old debutant, Sam Palmer, setting up for Joe Cresdee to fire home off the bar.


We continued in the same vein with both wide men, Palmer and Cresdee, being a constant threat and producing numerous opportunities along with front men Williams and Spreadbury.


Having led 1-0 at half time we continued playing some excellent football in the second half and it was no surprise when Palmer pulled a ball back from the touchline for Jack Williams to fire home from close range on 59 minutes. This was soon followed by a 30 yard screamer from Kieron Rawlings which the goalie did very well to tip over the bar.


With the outstanding 17 year old debutant Ryan Caws running the midfield with Luke Beckerley we soon gained a 3rd to seal the win with a well worked move including Cresdee and Spreadbury leading to an opposition defender putting the ball into his own net before New Milton did score a consolation goal on 83 minutes.


This was an excellent performance from our extremely young team who are now rewarded with a game v Eastleigh at the Silverlake Stadium in the next round.


Team: Williams, Rawlings, Hammond, Caws, Botcherby, Rogers, Cresdee, Beckerley, Williams, Spreadbury, Palmer

Sub: Brookes


AFC Stoneham 2 Blackfield and Langley 1 After Extra time

By Mark Stupple

November 15th 2016

A truly superb game and result for AFC Stoneham against a very well respected ,skilful and experienced Blackfield team containing players with football league experience who have aspirations to win the Wessex Premier league this season and play Southern League football next season. In contrast Stoneham had 5 players who a couple of weeks ago were playing in our reserve team and three 16 year olds on the bench.


Sadly the last 45 minutes was 9 v 9 as firstly Poole for the opponents was dismissed on 35 minutes for a last man tackle , Clarke for Stoneham after a handbags incident and finally Matt Palmer and experienced Tim Sills both saw red after an altercation on 75 minutes. Losing our two central defenders, and both Cooper and Dexter being unavailable, meant the unusual combination of Stupple and Morris playing the last 45 minutes as a centre half pairing and as always they rose to the challenge.


We took the lead on 7 minutes through a cracking strike from Tom Hogan followed by a missed penalty on 20 minutes for the visitors from Sam Wilson allowing us to have a 1 goal and player advantage at half time.


Blackfield were buoyed by being a goal down and soon converted a second penalty through Carl Preston to level the scores on 60 minutes. Despite this set back Stoneham continued to play good passing football and were certainly not outclassed by their more esteemed visitors. As the game became 9v9 clearly more space became available however our fitness and willingness to work for each other with a "never say die " attitude shone through .


With the clock ticking showing only 3 minutes of extra time remaining Blackfield swapped their young keeper Sam Beale for penalty expert Bradley Snelling assuming penalties were a formality. Our boys had other ideas and gained rich reward when home debutant Scott Bullock cut in from the right and somehow curled a left footed shot right into the bottom corner past a despairing Snelling on 120 minutes. Every Purple player and management jumped on top of him in wild celebration!


Blackfield were favourites for this cup and a very highly respected team knocking us out 5-0 a year ago in the same competition.

Every AFC Stoneham player ran their socks off and should be immensely proud of this fantastic performance and result




Team :Whieldon,Bullock,Anteney-Wright,Morris,Palmer,Clarke,Hogan,Stupple,Cron,Ledger,Moore

Subs used : Humphries

Scorers : Hogan 7 Bullock 120


Totton and Eling 1 AFC Stoneham 0

By Mark Stupple

November 12th 2016

We visited an ever improving Totton and Eling team after 2 excellent performances against Romsey and Laverstock.

Young Greg Cooper came in at centre half for the injured Ben Dexter whilst Scott Bullock was promoted from the reserves as a replacement for holidaying Sergio Caballero.


Sadly we never got out of the traps in the first half and but for some frantic defending,goaline clearances and a double block in the 6 yard box from Matt Stupple we would have been a lot more than just 1-0 down at half time.


We came out the second half looking like a different team and took the game to Totton. Our best efforts, which on another day would have gone in, were a 30 yard piledriver from substitute Conor Humphries, bound for the top corner, which the opposing keeper did superbly to push over the bar and a Merl Anteney-Wright dribble and shot which hit the post 8 minutes from time.


We played a lot better in the second half however our first half performance probably was not good enough for us to warrant any reward from the game.


Team: Whieldon,Palmer,Anteney-Wright,Morris,Cooper,Clarke,Hogan,Stupple,Ledger,Bullock,Forbes.

Subs used : Moore, Humphries, Cron

AFC Stoneham 1 Laverstock 2

By Mark Stupple

November 8th 2016

Following on from an excellent win on saturday at Romsey Town we entertained the league leaders 3 days later and put on another excellent performance despite losing 2-1 in the end.


We started brightly and young Tom Hogan gave us an early lead allowing us to dominate most of the first half.

Unfortunately lapses of concentration either side of half time allowed Laverstock to come in all square at half time and then take the lead on 48 minutes.


We did take control of the game for the last 30 minutes but failed to convert good chances whilst Laverstock were delighted to hear the final whistle leaving us with a good performance which probably deserved at least a share of the points.


Team: Whieldon, Palmer,Anteney-Wright,Morris,Dexter, Clarke,Hogan,Stupple,Forbes,Ledger,Bray

Subs: Hills,Humphries

Scorer: Hogan


Romsey Town 0 AFC Stoneham 3

By Mark Stupple

November 5th 2016

We travelled to local rivals Romsey Town on Saturday having now played 2 games every week for 3 months and 9 in the last month. This schedule has clearly taken its toll on our small squad with numerous injuries to very key players such as captain Manning, Welch,Bird,Caballero and Dexter all missing on a regular basis. This situation was compounded by centre forward, Andy Turner, deciding to transfer to Romsey Town the day before the game however despite tiredness the players clearly used this as a great motivator.


We took the game to Romsey from the start and were excellent for the whole 90 minutes scoring a penalty through Ledger, a well worked goal with Chris Morris finishing off and another Ledger finish to secure a superb 3-0 away win. The boys should be commended not only for the performance and the manner of the win but for all their efforts over the last few weeks with this result hopefully being testimony to all of the hard work put in by Tim,Carl and the boys during this challenging period.


Team: Whieldon, Mott, Anteney-Wright,Morris,Dexter,Clarke,Bray,Stupple,Forbes,Ledger,Hogan

Subs : Humphries, Cooper and Cron

Goals : Ledger(2) , Morris


Queens Keep and Chamberlayne Athletic games

By Mark Stupple

November 5th 2016

We recently won games in both the Southampton Senior Cup and Russell Cotes Cup with a mixture of first team and reserve players..


We beat Chamberlayne 5-2 in the Southampton Senior cup which has now given us a home tie against Wessex Premier league Blackfield and Langley.


In the Russell Cotes cup we were fortunate to get past QK Southampton equalising in the last couple of minutes and then winning 5-4 on penalties. In hindsight this proved to be well worthwhile as we were then given the plum tie in the next round against Aldershot Town at home.


The two games above are just reward and we will now firmly be the underdogs for a change!!


FA Vase AFC Stoneham 1 Shaftesbury 3

By Mark Stupple

October 22nd 2016

Our first ever campaign in the FA Vase was ended by Shaftesbury from the same division as ourselves.


We started really well and should have been in front before Shaftesbury took the lead and the ascendency during the first half to lead 1-0 at half time.


We came out really strongly after half time and deservedly equalised through a Chris Morris thunderbolt.

Our play had gone up in tempo and whilst we were clearly gaining the advantage a melee in the 62nd minute changed the game after a strong tackle from Matt Palmer resulted in nearly every Shaftesbury player surrounding the referee whilst 2 of their colleagues lay stricken on the ground. This made the situation very difficult for the referee and whilst eventually booking 2 of our players and stopping the flow of the game for 5 minutes we frustratingly lost our focus and concentration from being in a winning position.


Our opponents,still chasing the referee at every opportunity european style, soon won a free kick and penalty, converting both, as a result of our loss of focus to go through to the next round where they will be at home to Team Solent also from the Wessex League.


We were disappointed with the result however had won 2 FA Vase games prior to this against Longleven and Malmesbury Victoria and are still delighted with our first ever venture into the FA Vase and look forward to returning next season.


Team : Whieldon, Palmer, Anteney-Wright,Morris,Dexter,Clarke,Bray,Stupple,Forbes,Ledger,Turner

Subs: Cron,Welch,Hogan

Scorer: Morris




Founded in 1919, and continues to go from strength to strength. The club caters for all age groups ranging from U7's through to U18's which also includes a ladies side.



Copyright © 2018 AFC Stoneham

Website designed by ArcoCreative