AFC Stoneham 2 - 0 Romsey Town FC

By Andrew Ormerod

April 2nd 2016

At three o’clock, the two teams walked down the path towards their destination, resplendent in purple, yellow and blue - between them more colourful than a puffin’s beak. It was Romsey who had most of the early chances, but a series of corners didn’t produce any shots on target.


They would come to regret their lack of penetration towards half-time, as Stoneham found the back of the net twice within a matter of minutes - once through inspiration, thence through perspiration. Firstly, Chris Manning curled a free-kick around Romsey’s wall - the perfect banana shot, low and just inside the post.

As the clock ticked over 45 minutes, a large white aeroplane came in to land at Southampton Airport, appearing to skim and bounce across the tops of the mistletoe-enhanced trees to the east. As the plane disappeared from view, Terry New picked up the ball and bundled straight through the middle of Romsey’s defence, tucking it away into the bottom left corner for a 2-0 half-time lead.


And that was that, really. Romsey were clearly tired after playing on Thursday, and Stoneham were happy with the points as the second half dribbled away. There were very few cheers coming from the Silverlake, as Eastleigh struggled to a 1-1 draw in their match. The only sounds, apart from the shouts of the players and the distant roar of aeroplane engines, was the laughter of a flighty woodpecker and the “cok-cok” of a cocky pheasant which wandered across the second pitch.


Totton and Eling 0  AFC Stoneham 0

By Mark Stupple

March 26h 2016

26th March 2016 15:00pm KO


AFC Stoneham went into this away game on the back of only 1 defeat in the last 11 games . Although Totton and Eling currently sit in the bottom four of the table they had in their line up the leagues top scorer Sam House and ex-Southampton and Norwegian international Jo Tessem.

Both teams started slowly and it was quite evident that the extremely windy conditions were going to effect the game in what was to become somewhat of a stalemate. The fact that AFC Stonehams defence has now only slipped 5 goals in the last 9 games and were able to keep both House and Tessem quiet only added to the lack of clearcut chances especially with full back Tom Egerton keeping a firm hold on House.

AFC Stoneham did have more of the play in the final third of the pitch mainly brought about by the clever link up play between Cole and Magee . Forbes did have a couple of half chances prior to being replaced at half time with a recurrence of a calf injury. Despite this the best chance of the half fell to Totton and Elings Marwood who having received a 1-2 did finish the chance off only for the linesman to rule it offside much to Stonehams relief.

The second half was played out in much the same vein with AFC Stoneham creating a few chances having brought on Caballero at half time however his lack of match practice did show and was unable to influence the game in his normal manner. Young John Cole probably had the best chance of the half when a shot on the turn hit the bar only for the referee to have then blown for a foul.

Both teams were probably happy to settle for a point when in fairness the result could have gone either way when neither team really deserved to win or lose.

AFC Stoneham will be the happier having not conceded again and extend their unbeaten run to 9 games with only 1 defeat in the last 12 games as they move onto a difficult away game on tuesday evening at Laverstock and Ford.


AFC Stoneham 4 - 0 Andover New Street

By Mark Mwaungulu

March 19th 2016

AFC Stoneham climb to Ninth in the Wessex League division one, after a 4-0 win against Andover New Street.

The Eastleigh based club started the game well, and it only took two minutes before they took the lead. Stoneham worked the ball neatly into the box, and Ryan Sanger placed the ball passed the sprawling keeper making it 1-0.

The 15th placed Andover struggled to get into the game as they were defending deep in their own half. It was only a matter of time before Stoneham scored again, in the 20th minute, Ollie Forbes found room in the box and redirected a cross neatly into the bottom left hand corner to make it 2-0.

Stoneham would carry on pressuring the Andover but the game would remain at 2-0 at half time.

The second half resembled the first with an early goal. In the 48th minute Terry New was found on the wing before bringing the ball towards the goal, and when the goal keeper made his move New dinked the ball over the mystified goalkeeper, this made it 3-0.

Andover started playing like a team who had nothing to lose, pressing high looking for a consolation goal, this lead to their downfall. In the 53rdminute Stoneham caught them on the counter from the right, the ball was then fizzed into the box, Ollie Forbes was their waiting for his brace. The forward opened up his body and finessed the ball low to the right making it 4-0.

AFC Stoneham continued to press the high and dominate possession, but failed to add a fifth goal, but it was a well-earned three points, placing them 9th in Sydenhams Wessex League Division One, something that seemed unlikely before Christmas.

Next Fixture: 21/03/2016 Moneyfields v AFC Stoneham

Stadium: Moneyfields Sports Arena


AFC Stoneham 1 - 1 Laverstock & Ford

By Thomas Hodgson

March 16th 2016

AFC Stoneham were without their captain John Cole for their midweek fixture at home to third place Laverstock & Ford.

The game had a lively start with both sides eager to get on the ball, however the eagerness proved a negative as for the opening 15 minutes neither side could stamp their authority on the game.

That was until the 16th minute when Stoneham had their first effort at goal. Forbes latched on to a smart through ball, he rounded the keeper before hitting the side netting from an awkward angle.

From that chance Stoneham begun to find their feet in the game and took control.

The home side came close again 10 minutes later when a corner was headed on to the crossbar, the rebounded effort was saved expertly by the Laverstock keeper.

Less than two minutes later, on the 27 minute the home side took the lead, Forbes again beat the offside trap to latch onto the through ball, however this time he coolly finished past the helpless keeper.

The half continued to be tightly contested, however it finished 1-0.

The second 45 began much like the first ended with Laverstock refusing to let their heads drop after finishing the half a goal down.
Stoneham was looking to build on there lead and was looking the most likely to score with one effort hitting the crossbar once again.

All the attacking from the home side proved costly however, when in the 65th minute Laverstock counter attacked well and finished it off with a tidy finish to level the scores.

Both sides let there emotions get the best of them as time ticked away and tackles flew in with two of Stoneham’s men receiving yellow cards on the night.

As the game drew to a close Stoneham had the best chance of the match when a brilliant ball from the right hand side found the outstretched foot on Forbes who couldn’t poke the ball into a virtually open net.

The teams shared the spoils in the end with the match finishing 1-1, a fair result on reflection.

AFC Stoneham put in a good account for themselves against a side that before the game sat seven places above them.

AFC Stoneham 5 - 0 Christchurch FC

By Mark Mwaungulu

March 12th 2016

At The Elliotts Arena


AFC Stoneham extended their unbeaten run to 6 games on Saturday at home to Christchurch, with a dominate 5-0 score line.

There was a level of optimism at the Elliots Arena even though Christchurch were five positions higher than Stoneham.

The game begun cagey, with both sides trying to assert their ideology of play. It would take a moment of magic to open the game up, this was supplied neatly by Ollie Forbes in the 28th minute. Forbes peeled off his marker, before heading the ball past the oncoming keeper.

The Eastleigh based club were growing in confidence, and their resolute pressure payed off again with a perfect team goal in the 33 minute. A cross came in from the right wing and coolly chested down by Liam Hall to Matt Palmer who slotted it past the sprawling keeper.

The match went to half time with a 2-0 advantage to Stoneham.


After the break Stoneham picked up where they left off, showing dominance much suited to the top four teams. They increased their lead in the 48th minute. Ollie Forbes met the ball in the air and converted it passed the goal keeper to make it 3-0.

The game was quickly moving away from the 5th placed Christchurch, and if there was any hope for a come-back it was quickly quashed in the 50th minute. Hills came off the bench to dishearten the Christchurch fans. Hills found space on the edge of the D before slotting the ball low and hard in to the bottom left hand corner to make 4-0.

AFC Stoneham were now playing with a swagger and the players oozed confidence. The confidence was personified in the last goal in the 78th minute. Tom Hogan another substitute was free on the left wing, and continued his run into the box, before opening up his body and dinking the ball past the helpless keeper to make it 5-0.

Stoneham stay 10th in the Sydenham Wessex League division one with 32 points.


Next Game: Wednesday 16/03/16 AFC Stoneham v Laverstock & Ford


Stadium: Elliots Arena


Widbrook Ladies Vs. AFC Stoneham Ladies

By Ronan Galloway & Tom Forbes

March 10th 2016

6th March 2016 15:00pm KO


Coming into the game off of a disappointing result against Winchester City Flyers as a group we believed today's game against Widbrook was a winnable game.

We started the game with a make-shift goalkeeper who would normally be a starting centre half, due to the unfortunate circumstances of our usual goal keeper (Lauren Cargill) being unwell. However, this did not dampen the high spirits of our ladies.

As the game kicked off, we were always looking to be the team on the front foot first. We were playing fantastic football and we looked menacing through our front 4 in Claire Luffman, Kirstie Porter, Abbie Awdas and Jen Parle. It certainly didn't take long for our skipper Claire Luffman to get on the scoresheet through a penalty given for handball.

So far, so good.

We had a lead that had been coming for a while. However, Widbrook had other ideas. A quick reply to make it a goal a piece through a slight defensive error was enough to kick-start the home side into life! Widbrook proved to be a handful coming forward. A sliding challenge from our combative central midfield stalwart Beth Boyne just inside the penalty proved costly as Widbrook were awarded a penalty.  Widbrook converted, sending make-shift goalkeeper Gail Williams the wrong way. 2-1 Widbrook. As the game went on, Widbrook added a third to their tally. Coming up to half time, this was the last thing we needed. We found ourselves 3-1 down. ten minutes to go till half time. We needed a goal and we needed it fast. We had to take something into half time. Claire Luffman was feeling lucky, as a long ranged pot shot effort on the 25 yard mark ended up creeping into the back of the net! We had decreased the deficit coming into half time. For the neutral "you were certainly getting your fiver's worth"

Patience. We looked solid defensively, as the as the game progressed in the second half. We knew if we got our chance we could draw level and take the game to Widbrook.

The frequent presence of Abbie Awdas proved to be too much to handle for a inexperienced Widbrook defence, as our talismanic striker latched on to a cross field ball from our right back Charlie Eyles and what a ball it proved to be! Abbie coolly poked the ball past the opposing goalkeeper making it 3-3 twenty minutes from time.

Tiredness was setting in for a Widbrook side lacking experience. Defensively all the cogs were in motion.

Louise Newstead and Beth Boyne proved to be a formidable partnership the Widbrook players couldn't break down. A further five minutes passed. Impact substitute Kirstie Porter proved pivotal as a teasing through ball from Abbie Awdas had KP eating the ground up. After a weaving, slalom like run. KP had pulled the trigger. A fantastic finish looping over the Widbrook keeper made the game 4-3 to Stoneham.

We were on our way to collecting our first three points of the season. Not to mention collecting them on the road!  Given the last minutes left in this game. The pressure was on. Keeping Widbrook out was another mission itself as they pushed everyone up and made our lives hell for the last 10 minutes. Nevertheless, we remained in control and continued playing some brilliant football while maintaining our level of resilience. We shut the game and the opponents out and deservedly won three points.

Every player involved on the day was faultless. A special mention to Gail Williams who stepped up to a big responsibility and pulled on the number 1 jersey at the 12th hour. And our solid back line who stood up to the occasion when it mattered most in those very last moments in the game.

Woman of the match was right back Charlie Eyles for her solid, solid display. Well done Charlie.

Congratulations Ladies. You've done is all immensely proud.

AFC Stoneham 5 - 1 East Cowes Victoria

By Mark Mwaungulu

March 5th 2016

At the Elliotts Arena

AFC Stoneham went four games unbeaten with a 5-1 win over East Cowes Victoria on Saturday. They are now 10th in the Sydenham Wessex League Division one with 28 points.


We had to wait for the first goal, as both sides where measuring each other out, but in the 21st minute Chris manning was left unattended in the box, when a neatly threaded ball to him was expertly converted on the nearside, leaving the keeper clutching air.


A goal behind the isle of white based team started applying pressure on the Stoneham defence, with East Cowes having more of the ball in the Stoneham half. The visitors had something to celebrate in the 40th minute when Liam McKenzie found the top right hand corner. McKenzie found space on the left wing with three defenders round him, he managed a right footed strike which arrowed pasted the keeper, this would be the last goal of the half.


The second half begun slowly with both sides wary of each other on the break. The game would remain lacklustre for the first 25 minutes of the half, with neither side able to add the the goals scored in the first half. This soon changed in favour of the home side, John Cole had looked the most likely to score Stoneham’s second, and he did so in the 75th minute. The ball was poorly defended in the box by the visitors, in which Cole pounced and struck low and hard past the sprawling keeper.


Stoneham then turned the style on in the last 20 minutes. Three minutes after their second Liam MaGee found the net again. In the 78th minute with the Visitors tiring Magee had a snap shot from the right wing, which went in with assistance from the far post. The game already looked to have left the visitors but this was a certainty when John Cole netted for his brace. In the 82 Minute Cole netted again with an instinctive shot in the box.


Cole had an opportunity to get his hat-trick in the 85th minute from the penalty spot. He drove his strike to the bottom left hand side of the keeper, but failed to beat the goal keeper who palmed the strike away from his goal. There would be another penalty awarded to Stoneham in the 89th minute, this was coolly slotted low in the middle of the goal by Matthew Palmer to cap off a game for Stoneham.


Next Home Fixture: Saturday 12th March 2016 AFC Stoneham v Christchurch

AFC Stoneham 4 - 1 Hythe & Dibden

By Mark Mwaungulu

February 27th 2016

Stoneham go three games unbeaten


AFC Stoneham went 11th with 25 points in the Sydenhams Wessex football league Division one after a 4-1 win over Hythe & Dibden at home last Saturday, in which Liam Hall got a brace.


The game started off very cagey, with both teams trying to get into rhythm. Stoneham drew the first blow in the 10th minute. Liam Hall found space in the box and released a strike which left the goal keeper rooted. The second soon followed in the 15th minute when Sergio Cabellero twisted and turned into space on the right wing before firing a right footed strike in to the top left hand corner.


The game was not won yet for AFC Stoneham as a defensive error gave Hythe & Dibden a penalty in the 20th minute. The penalty was coolly converted by Sean Parker, who placed a low strike to the goal keepers left hand side. Stoneham asserted their dominance again with a quick response in the 30th minute when Liam Hall sent a cross into the box finding egger Liam Magee who directed the header towards goal, only to see it nestle in the net.


The second half was rather tamed, with the ball predominantly kept in the middle parts of the pitch. Stoneham where not playing to the same fluency that they displayed in the first half, but the game was finished the same way it was started, with another Liam Hall goal in the 87th minute, to put the game beyond Hythe & Dibden.


The result makes for good reading for AFC Stoneham fans, as the Eastleigh based club has managed to score 14 goals in their last three games. The new manager has instilled new found hope since his arrival, and has managed to get the team playing again.

Next Game: Saturday / 05 March 2016 / AFC Stoneham v East Cowes Victoria

AFC Stoneham 4 - 0 Pewsey Vale

By Thomas Hodgson

February 24th 2016

The match started very openly with both teams having a fair share of possession and working hard to create chances. Despite the hard work neither team were having much luck in the final third. That was until the 28th minute when Cole finished nicely to give his side a deserved lead. From there on Stoneham played with swagger and just seven minutes later they had their second when a pass from defence cut open the Pewsey defence to find Magee who finished like a striker to double his sides lead. Pewsey Vale continued to work hard however failed to crack Stoneham stony defence. On the stroke of halftime Cole doubled his tally for the night and moved his side within 45 minutes of a vital three points. Cole latched on to an excellent chipped through ball before sliding the ball passed a hopeless keeper.

The second half didn’t begin as well as the first ended, however Pewsey appeared as if they weren’t going to lie down and let Stoneham win easily. Both teams continued to put the work in and it was Stoneham who soon found their rhythm and got on top of the game once again. The home side were playing some excellent football, however with Cole desperately hunting his hat-trick he appeared to lose his shooting boots as he missed chance after chance.

An excellent move from Stoneham soon saw the ball in the back of the net again, however the linesman ruled the goal out for offside. The home team didn’t allow the decision to dampen their spirits, as just five minutes later it was 4-0 after Manning coolly finished his one on one chance.

After the fourth goal Pewsey Vales heads dropped significantly and Stoneham found themselves in acres of space time after time. Despite the possession and quality of football from Stoneham they failed to the find the goal again with the game finishing 4-0.

On a cold evening at the Elliott’s Arena Stoneham warmed the fans up with some excellent football as they tore a Struggling Pewsey Vale to pieces.


Founded in 1919, and continues to go from strength to strength. The club caters for all age groups ranging from U7's through to U18's which also includes a ladies side.



Copyright © 2018 AFC Stoneham

Website designed by ArcoCreative